Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thailand Day 2

Yesterday was really good. Masha and I went and checked out the Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha. It's not my kind of beautiful, but I definitely appreciate the style and the amount of work that went into it. We also walked around the non-touristy part of the city and stumbled upon a temple with 300 Buddhas positioned all around the perimeter and a huge one inside the temple. It had a nice calm vibe to it which was a welcome change after the overcrowded Grand Palace. We had no problems getting to the train station on time which was nice.

We had tickets in 1st class which apparently meant that we each had a bed and didn't have to share the room with anyone. As we learned the hard way, 1st class does not mean a clean cockroach free room :). I just started eating when I saw it and completely lost my appetite. The bathroom was disgusting with pee all over the floor and the smell that made me a little nauseous. I dealt with it and just rolled up my PJs to the knees so that they wouldn't be soaked in some random urine. Also the lady that was serving food was super annoying and no one knocked before coming into our berth so we just locked the door.

Our train was 3 hours late but it was cool because I left the morning free. Right now we are going to get some food, shower and go on tours. Chiang Mai has a really nice calm vibe and I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment