Sunday, June 26, 2011

Penis Cream, and Ruin Pubs

Day 0 - So here I am again after a PROLONGED absence in travelling abroad. I have been excited about this trip for roughly 4 months and was really excited that Mike decided to go with me. Because he got on to the trip later than the other people (Jessica, Yan, and Olichka) he was flying a different flight and as I was leaving him at the gate to wait for his own departure I yelled through that crowd: "Don't forget your penis cream!!!" (That will teach him to vacation with me).

Day 1 - Other than that, our flight was pretty uneventful and everyone got in to Budapest on time and without incident. We cabbed it to our apartment in Buda (after Yan had left his jacket at the airport *** total of things lost = 1) and the rest of the guys opted to nap while Mike and I walked around and got some snacks. It was a little strange to see how few people were outside in the daytime. I have to mention the apartment building that we had stayed at because these were by far the nicest accommodations we have had on this trip. I booked Agape Apartments for 5 people and it was clean, pleasant, and looked like IKEA attacked it. The only weird thing about it was that the deadbolt turns 4 times so its UBER safe (or unsafe if they felt the need for a heavy duty lock like that). I would highly recommend booking with them because the location is right where the night life is and right off the Blaha Luzha metro stop.

After our meal we realized that we were tired after all and napped for a few hours while the others explored the city. Slightly refreshed by our nap we went out for food and fun. We ended up eating at a cafe and people watching for a while and waited for Smazo. He has been travelling around and happened to be at Budapest at the same time. We went and got desert at a really pricey cafe right next to the opera house and then went out on the town. The cafe had live music and I honestly felt a little under dressed for it but decided not to dwell on this too much. I completely stopped worrying about it when Jessya, who I think has a slight case of pyromania, set her hair on fire while playing with the candle that was burning on our table. No one got hurt, except for the image of American tourists in Budapest. You're welcome. Also our waiter was really funny because when we asked for a particular dessert he dissuaded us saying that there is a new chef and he is still not so good. Hilarious. For some reason I feel french waiters would be like this, but they are probably not. Yan has read up on ruin pubs, so that was our next destination.

The first ruin pub we went to had a lounge area with some couches and a pool table in one of the rooms, a courtyard with a bar and a ping pong table in the "garage". We decided on drunk ping pong and had ourselves a blast. The game we invented was doubles relay ping pong in which you run to the next position after you hit the ball. We might have been a little loud :). Once we tired of the ping pong we went to the next ruin pub, Szimplakert. This one is my favorite because of the variety of what you can do. There are two stories that you can go to in this bar, the top being more loungy with less noise and less people and the bottom having a giant TV screen, a DJ, an open air bar, and smaller cosier rooms including one with hookahs in it. we drank more and then chilled in the hookah room and indulged in some late night pizza. i feel that I will not do this bar justice so I am including a link to pictures. I think we were out till about 3 am which I feel is a very respectable first day :).

No comments:

Post a Comment