Friday, June 8, 2012

Israel and Almost Jordan

The next days of our trip took on a completely different feel. Mike and I had an uneventful flight to Israel and got to Ashdod relatively early. Lena and Ann were still sight-seeing in Jerusalem so we just hung out with the rest of the family until they got in. I really only have one amusing anecdote of the day. I was having a side conversation with Ann, when in the lull I heard Mike's aunt say "A vy znaete zapah Shafrana?" .... silence ... laughter from me, Mike and Lena. Apparently, saffron is pronounced as "shafran" in Russian, and Mike's aunt Ira was talking about spices that get added to teas. The poor woman didn't understand why her seemingly benign comment got such a reaction, but was a good sport about it when we explained what happened.

The day of the wedding, was otherwise uneventful. Ann and I went and got pedicures from a Russian lady who disapproved of us in different ways. When I asked her to paint my toes  pale pink, she refused and told me that the color was ugly. We compromised on a different color, mainly because I was so amused. The wedding itself, was a lot of fun, the food was delicious, the music blasting, the dancing abundant, and the bride and groom looked like they had a blast. I loved that there were no toasts. Everything was just easy and relaxed.

The four of us went to Eilat the next day. We tried to go to Timna Park, but it was closed by the time we got there. Our hotel was a shit hole located right off the runway of the Eilat airport. DO NOT EVER STAY at Dalia Hotel. Eilat was very different from how I remembered it. It's basically a giant mall with restaurants sprinkled in. Russians have taken over and you hear more Russian than Hebrew when you walk down the street. We found a restaurant recommendation in Frommer for Denise Restaurant and after a bit of a walk found it and had the best dinner I have had in a while. I don't think that what happened the next day was in any way related to the restaurant because we all shared our food.

The day of our trip to Jordan, I woke up feeling a little off. When I went to get breakfast I started feeling nauseous and opted out of going to Petra. This was probably the best decision of my life. I will spare you the details, but I have never been this sick. Day lost.

The next morning, while I felt much better, I was not 100%. We checked out of our hotel and had brunch at cafeCafe. Everyone loved their food. I had some tea and a croissant and I thought it was pretty good as well. We managed to get into Timna this time, but the dirt roads did me in and we didn't go everywhere that the rest of the group wanted to go, or spend as much time there as we would have otherwise. I feel a little bad about that, but considering that at one point I broke down into tears while there, I feel like I did all I could. We spent the evening with family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment